Tuesday, 28 October 2008

The Run Cycle

This is jumping ahead a little, but is something that I have been practicing and working on for quite some time. It was Ken Harris who said, "Learn walks, everything else will follow" and I believe him. Since I started practicing and learning how to do walk cycles and learning the ridiculousness involved in the process of walking (Fall, catch, fall, catch) my other animation seems to have begun to pick up a stronger sense of reality - or rather the opposite, but people are more willing to accept it because of the way I bend their perceptions.

video

Now my characters will run like this (No inbetween frames).

video

And walk like this (No inbetween frames).

Whereas before...then would have been bobbing up and down at the front of the screen so that I didn't have to draw legs and other complicated movements.

video

I remember at one point I was proud of this walk....

It all seems so innocent and kind of rubbish now and that wasn't animated that long ago at all. Progress is constantly been made, though it is an uphill battle. I feel like I am finally making some headway though, which is important and my characters are beginning to show weight and timing, even though there is still a long way to go yet and a lot more techniques to try.

No comments: